Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Happy Pappy


Baby Love 1
Originally uploaded by Uncle Mikey.
We've been doing the Attachment Parenting thing with Sabrina. The basic idea is that if your child never feels insecure, forgotten, or distressed in any way by Mommy's and/or Daddy's absence, he or she will become independent earlier. My encounters with other Attachment Parenting kids have been almost all pleasant, and Sabrina's always been great, but since I'm out of the house so much and Mommy's at home, she's been far more attached to Mommy.

I figured that at some point she'd break away from Mommy of her own accord and spend more time with me without needing to know Mommy's whereabouts every few minutes, and that time has finally come. One of the things I miss most about her first two months is her sleeping on my chest or lap, boneless and warm in utter confidence that she's in a safe place. During the last six months it's been difficult to hold her for more than 10-15 minutes because she's always scanning for Mommy and wanting to be held by her instead, but during August she started hanging out with me for 30 minutes or more with no apparent concern for Mommy's location. Which is nice.

I know it's nothing personal when she prefers Mommy to Daddy; in fact, I know she'll break my heart a thousand times in the future and not mean a bit of it personally. Having kids is like that. But it sure is nice to hold your daughter on your lap and feel her relax back onto you, content just to be there. It's more than nice. It's the best thing ever.

Disclosure: I started crying at the end of this post. It's overwhelming, this parenting thing. In a great way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sack up Mikey... the inevitable is coming.......