Thursday, September 16, 2004

The best plant I've ever bought


Night Blooming Jasmine
Originally uploaded by Uncle Mikey.
My wife and I love jasmine flowers, and we have four different kinds growing around our house. This is my favorite, called night-blooming jessamine or Cestrum Notcurnum. It's by far the strongest flower smell I've ever experienced, and the first time it bloomed it overpowered the smell of steak grilling from the other side of the house.

This is a picture of the largest explosion of flowers we've ever gotten. They open after dark but don't smell hardly at all for an hour or so, and they last for between 4-7 days before the fragrance fades.

It blooms from Spring until late Fall, and they say it gets to be 8' tall, so we're going to plant a bunch more of them between us and the neighbors.

No comments: