Sunday, January 30, 2005

The Real Face of Democracy

Over at Iraq the Model you will find this touching reminder by Omar and Mohammed why we went into Iraq in the first place:

The media is reporting only explosions and suicide attacks that killed and injured many Iraqis s far but this hasn't stopped the Iraqis from marching towards their voting stations with more determination. Iraqis have truly raced the sun.

I walked forward to my station, cast my vote and then headed to the box, where I wanted to stand as long as I could, then I moved to mark my finger with ink, I dipped it deep as if I was poking the eyes of all the world's tyrants.
I put the paper in the box and with it, there were tears that I couldn't hold; I was trembling with joy and I felt like I wanted to hug the box but the supervisor smiled at me and said "brother, would you please move ahead, the people are waiting for their turn."


It's one of the most powerful and touching blog posts I've ever read. Read it all and bookmark these guys, they are risking it all every day for just a taste of Democracy. And to them, it's worth it. God bless 'em.

UPDATE: How would you like this to be your armored humvee? Sometime we forget how good our soldiers have it, by comparison to others. Not that they don't deserve even better, but sometimes living in the real world means compromise. We are all deeply in debt to all of the men and women who risk their lives to bring Iraq a better way of life.

No comments: