Saturday, January 29, 2005

But of Course

From LGF, an enormously long and fascinating post on Right Intention about Colbert King's fine essay, "Why the Crass Remarks about Rice?" I have been asking myself the same question since MLK day. How is it that the first administration that has appointed an African American man and woman (it's an old and bigoted joke to say that's a twofer but it's true) to heavyweight political positions is the racist one? Colbert's not buying Barbara Boxer's fantasy that Condoleeza Rice is a Bush puppet:

As I was leaving a Post dining room after participating in my first off-the-record session with Rice and other Post editors and reporters a couple of years ago, it struck me that Rice could be where Bush gets it from. Subsequent meetings only have reinforced that supposition. Rice's notions of preemption, unilateralism and America's responsibilities as the dominant power in the world are not hand-me-downs from Bush. They strike me as very much her own.

Wonder why Rice stayed close to Bush's policies in her hearings? Consider the possibility that the administration's policies happen to be hers too. Consider too the likelihood that years of study and work in foreign affairs, both as an academic and as a senior foreign policy wonk, are what inform her views -- not George W. Bush.


It's patent nonsense to say, write or imply through a vile political cartoon that Condoleeza Rice is anything but an extrememly smart, informed and accomplished woman who could be doing anything she wanted and make a ton of money doing so. Unsurprisingly, a fair number of bottom-feeders do just that, and may they die gutshot in a sewer for it. It's racist and despicable.

Right Intention's RD is not having that bullshit either:

Colbert, I am also a Black man. And it's about time we stop dancing around the issue. The evidence is piling up and the answer is obvious. Liberals are racist, too.

Over the last few years, I've become quite disappointed with the Democratic party on a number of fronts. I believe the party is too reactionary and offers up no ideas of its own. They more or less just oppose whatever the Republicans want to do. I believe the party is too soft on national defense, and is more worried about opinion polls in France than defending the country. I believe that the Democrats are more worried about pleasing certain special interest groups than implementing worthwhile ideas (teacher's unions vs. school vouchers). And so forth.

But nothing has surprised or saddened me more than to see the overt racism from the left. [RD's emphasis]


And then he goes off, at length. And it's good stuff. Check it out.

1 comment:

The Exile said...

Condi for President!

I'm your typical middle-class. conservative white guy from the suburbs and, according to the media and the left, I'm supposed to be racist and sexist, but Condoleeza Rice is an amazing person and I would be proud to have her as my President.

See my post on the subject. We really need to push this.